Sustainable cooking and an eco-friendly lifestyle is something that the founder of Indian Vegetarian Cooking Workshops Rachna Gursahani prides herself on.
Rachna recently collaborated with us to create delicious sustainable recipes, using our favourite reusable products and she has shared one of her top recipes for you to try at home!
Originally from India, Rachna is now based in Sydney, she has travelled across the world with her family and enjoys yoga, travel, hiking and of course… cooking! Rachna runs Indian Vegetarian Cooking workshops as a hobby, but people know her for her popular Instagram page @indianvegcookclass where she shares her favourite cooking tips. Rachna shares sustainable meal ideas and recipes that can be made with pantry ingredients, frozen and canned food, beans, rice, and of course seasonal vegetables. She loves using local and organic products, supporting businesses that are green and conscious (like us!).
Rachna’s go to sustainable product are the Silicone Baking sheet and Reusable Silicone Food Pouches, and loves using them in her everyday cooking. Rachna says that single-use baking paper is gone for good, and her food pouches are so handy for food storage, plus they look awesome and keep her pantry and fridge organised and tidy!
Sustainable Recipe Favourite: Vegetable Patties
- 3 puff pastry squares, thawed
- 1 potato boiled & mashed
- ½ cup thawed peas
- Spices – ½ tsp Cumin seeds, salt, chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp dried mango powder, ½ tsp chaat masala (or lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Method for the Vegetable Filling:
- Heat oil in pan, Add cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, red chilli powder. Sautee until spices are mixed in oil.
- Add boiled mashed potato and peas, cook together with spices for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mango powder and chaat masala. If you don’t have that add lemon juice to add tanginess to the potato and pea filling.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Method for the Pattie:
- Preheat oven to 180*C
- Cut edges off puff pastry & cut into 4 strips
- Add the filling on ½ side and fold the other side on top to make the rectangular pocket
- Seal the edges with a fork and brush with milk
- Line an oven tray with a Silicone baking sheet
- Place puff pastry bites on it and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
Why do we love Silicone Baking Sheets so much? Find out in our latest blog: Let's Get Cooking with Reusable Silicone Baking Sheets!
Check out our other sustainable recipes: